[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Fri May 29 11:34:42 UTC 2015

On 29/05/2015 12:14, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> On 29/05/2015, SomeoneElse <lists at atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
>> how do we distinguish in the Abergavenny case between the two
>> established names and the "up to 7,000" (but realistically in the short
>> term a few hundred) translations?  That's unfortunately something that
>> name:xx in OSM doesn't give us currently
> You don't distinguish them, and that's fine. There may be many many
> more pleople using "Abergavenny" than "Абергавенни", but that doesn't
> mean that the name isn't established, at its more limited scale.

I'd say that whether or not a name is actually usable to help navigate
to a place is a pretty important piece of information.  For example,
when processing OSM data for my own use I'll try and drop unsigned names
and refs from roads (there's no point in saying "turn left on Foo
Street" if "Foo Street" does not appear on the sign). It's the same
principle here - if there are 300 names for a place, are you really
suggesting that I have to do an external check to some other database to
find that as it's in South Wales, signs are likely to be in Welsh and
English, so it's those language names that I need to look out for?

Cheers,

Andy