[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:18:28 UTC 2015

pet, 29. svi 2015. 18:45 Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> je napisao:

On 05/27/2015 05:13 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> We are a database of geodata [...]

> Would it not be better to record the wikidata link for London, and
> then (perhaps in co-operation with people at Wikidata) provide means
> for people doing map rendering to join OSM data with a
> separately-loaded translation table from Wikidata?

Would this be restricted to just names?

I can imagine a world where no information about businesses is stored in
OSM. OSM has a geometry and a wikidata link. Wikidata says what kind of
business it is, what its name is, what its contact info it, what its
opening hours are, etc.

That would be a very different world from the one we live in. In lieu of
listing them all out, I will just say I can see many benefits to living
in that world, and many benefits to what we have now.

Is that a goal of this integration?

I've been thinking about this for a while, so I have a lot of questions
based on the answer...
--Andrew

 What I'm sure about is that Wikidata isn't the place for opening hours of
shops and businesses. The question is, should we build our own OSMData or
OpenPOIData that has that information, or is OSM good enough.

Janko