[OSM-talk] Release openstreetmap-carto v2.36.0

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Nov 1 13:48:08 UTC 2015

On 01/11/15 12:39, Max wrote:
>> not long ago (maybe even today?) pharmacies  were not only selling goods but
>> > also producing many kinds of ointments and possibly other things as ordered
>> > by the prescribing physician.
>> >
>> > So "shop" would be a too narrow definition.
> With that argument you should also change stuff like shop=florist,
> because they aren't just selling the flowers they buy in bulk, they
> actually make arrangements and bouquets and stuff...

The irritating bit is the miss match of things like amenity, shop and
now 'healthcare'. In my tag list the local doctors surgery is an
building=clinic and has within it an amenity=doctor, nurse, dentist and
pharmacy. Just as my local hospital has various additional amenities
such as podiatrist (who CAN be a medical practitioner here!),
optometrist and the like. But just down the road from the doctors is a
shop=chemist which also provides a dispensing pharmacy amenity and has a
visiting podiatrist. The doctors pharmacy carries out no over the
counter sales ( apart from the extra tax con ;) ) so is an amenity,
while the chemist is clearly a shop providing various amenities, some of
which may not be 'healthcare' ... do we really need yet another
complicated tag in this mix?

Adding 'office' as another option of "A place predominantly selling
services." also confuses the picture. The building is an office,
shopping_mall or retail premise, and once again, the amenity provided is
the job function. The estate agent is next to the chemist's shop in the
same building, so tag the building 'retail', and each unit with is
amenity(s)?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL