[OSM-talk] Improved new Icon set for Open Street map

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:14:00 UTC 2015

On 02/11/2015 16:53, Nasir Khan wrote:

> One thing i faced every time and asked from many that, is there a way
> to improve the icon set to make the map more attractive.

(apologies if I'm stating the obvious here, but...)

"OpenStreetMap" isn't just "the standard map that you see at
openstreetmap.org".  There are five different tile layers available from
the layer switcher there, designed for different purposes. Elsewhere,
there are other styles.  For example,

https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=project+extension%3Amml&type=Code&ref=searchresults

currently finds > 700, and no doubt there are lots of others elsewhere.
Depending on what data you're showing, I'd expect that a different map
style would make sense.  Just today I was using a commercial application
that showed locations using "MQ Open" tiles (they wanted a road-atlassy
thing I guess); something that wanted to show location in a mountainous
area I'd would expect show contours or hillshading.  OpenStreetMap's
"standard" style has as one of its goals feedback to mappers, so it
includes more detail (for example of different sorts of shops) than I'd
expect most general purpose maps to want to show.

It's very possible (and not terribly difficult) to come up with a map
style that highlights the data that you want - making it then look nice
is the tricky bit, as to me would be figuring out how to host and serve
the data to allcomers (though as Wikimedia I suspect you've solved that
last bit).

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)