[OSM-talk] Proposed Collective Database Guideline (was Meta-Data Guideline)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Nov 5 12:36:41 UTC 2015

Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> writes:

> If you have any feedback, questions of suggestions, please respond soon.
> I'm planning on a final review and potential approval at the upcoming
> LWG meeting on Tuesday and proceeding to formal board approval and
> publishing in a matter of days.
>
> The text can be found here
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Collective_Database_Guideline

I wonder if "database" should be capitalized.   The point is that people
think about a 'postgresql database', and that's not the same thing as a
Derivative Database or Collective Database, which is a logical concept.
It's clear the guideline is talking about the logical concept, and
that's even made explicit.

I also don't understand precisely what the guideline means.  It seems
the ODbL means what the courts say the text means, so the guideline is
really a statement of how OSMF and the community view the edge cases,
which could well give weight to a case.  Plus, presumably OSMF can be
expected to avoid enforcement beyond the guideline.  Perhaps that's
obvious, but a "this guideline documents OSMF's interpretation of the
consequences of the license text" is perhaps in order.   Another view is
that the main guideline page does say this, so perhaps a "see also" link
is in order - I didn't notice one on reading.