[OSM-talk] A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:31:51 UTC 2015

On 19/11/2015 10:16, Ben Abelshausen wrote:

> You can go the tasking manager and see exactly what the goal of the
> mapping activity was, who is the admin that created the task and who
> validates, what mappers contributed and so on.

Can you please explain where any of that is documented within
OpenStreetMap?  As an example, I recently came across this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/381043577

It's a building that is a closed way, but only just.  How can I offer to
help that mapper do what they are trying to do better?  All the
changeset comment says is "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi,
Congo (DRC) #100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek " - to me the only useful
information in there is "Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)", which I already know
since that is exactly where this edit is.

More importantly, how do I contact the person who told this new mapper
that "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)
#100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek" was a suitable changeset comment, to explain
to them what we use changeset comments for and what makes a good one?
If I can talk to them, I can probably help them help other new users
too, and not just with stuff about changeset comments - as an OSM mapper
think of all the "how to interpret imagery" latent knowledge that you
have simply by being able to compare a place you visited with the
imagery of that place.

Cheers,

Andy