[OSM-talk] A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:09:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:52:40 -0500
john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> HOT and OSM are slightly different, HOT maps on OSM but uses a
> simpler more standardized approach.  Many of their volunteers often
> do not know enough English to write a meaningful change set comment.

In that case somebody is editing OSM. Doing it for HOT related-purposes
does not mean that it has special rights.

In that case "HOT and OSM are slightly different" is meaningless and
not relevant - it is OSM.

> HOT tends to map in areas that do not have a great deal of OSM mapping
> already in place so I don't see that it really matters if they use
> preset comments from the tile system.

Again - it is edit in OSM. Imports, remote mapping, including remote
mapping for HOT purposes have no special rights. If anything armchair
and automated mapping must be more careful.

Claiming that empty/useless changeset comments are OK is absurd and
arrogant.

> Or are we now asking that all mappers on OSM have to be able to read
> and write in English since that is the normal language for
> communication in OSM or is one of the local African languages
> sufficient.

In that case complaint was clearly about content - or to be more
precise lack of it. Using local language is perfectly OK.