[OSM-talk] A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 19 14:58:14 UTC 2015

Christoph,

On 11/19/2015 03:14 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> And if on http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1300 i read:
> "Please draw one large area outline around groups of buildings and tag
> them landuse=residential"

[...]

To be fair, that's exactly what *I* did in the early days when only
Landsat imagery was available ;)

I'm ok with cutting under-mapped areas some slack and not expecting them
to apply the same standards as countries that have been mapped for 10
years.

Of course you are also right when you say that HOT instructions do
sometimes clash with our usual quality expectations (I remember a recent
discussion about tagging "village greens" so that these can be
interpreted as helicopter landing sites or so). I think we were mostly
ok with this at the time when Haiti disaster mappers used
leisure=camping_ground to make refugee camps appear on the standard map;
such "crypto tagging" must, of course, remain an emergency measure and
not something we do regularly because it is easier.

Bye
Frederik