[OSM-talk] What3words

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 22 14:32:16 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel,

I didn't actually say there was any point in putting it in OSM, I just
said "w3w exists, what could/should we do?"

You argument about being able to derive the w3w from the geometry is
valid, but requires the use of the proprietary API. But as you mention
their resolution is 3m, and I have seen discussions where people point
out that their house falls into multiple squares so there is not a
single translation from a building to w3w. People choose which w3w to
publish as "their location." An adjacent square has a completely
different w3w, so a human can't just visually assess whether it is close
or just plain wrong. An address may have multiple phone numbers, and the
inhabitants choose which one to publish; typically that one gets into
contact:phone=* in OSM.

IF anyone wants to put their w3w into OSM, I don't think that would be
sufficiently wrong to require the data to be removed, even if the
concept is causing some raised eyebrows at the moment.

By the way, just to be absolutely clear, I am not thinking of w3w as a
coordinate system in OSM, but as an addressing attribute similar to
postcodes.

--colin

talk at openstreetmap.org

- --