[OSM-talk] What3words

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Nov 24 08:00:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Peter Gervai <grinapo+osmtalk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 2:01 PM, ajt1047 at gmail.com <ajt1047 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 22/11/2015 12:51, Colin Smale wrote:
>
> > ...and once again, as seems to be the norm in OSM, any minority interest
> > which is not supported by the oligarchy gets mercilessly shot down.
>
> > ... except it's not _just_ the "oligarchy", is it?  No-one on this list
> > seems to have a good word for the original idea.
>
> And even many of the the lurkers don't. Central repository is bad for
> longevity.

Even if we completely ignore the licensing issues, there is a profit motive
behind w3w.  They gotta sell something.  And I'd be shocked if it's not
vanity words.  So, say I start telling friends about this awesome sushi
place at food.bear.utopia, but a competing eating establishment buys the
naming rights and has it changed to sushi.sucks.ass.  Now you're not going
to find your salmon sashimi at food.bear.utopia because that's not a valid
combination anymore.