[OSM-talk] What3words

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 11:40:34 UTC 2015

On 22/11/15 14:32, Colin Smale wrote:
> By the way, just to be absolutely clear, I am not thinking of w3w as a coordinate system in OSM, but as an addressing attribute similar to postcodes.

On one hand, one plugs in the three word location to their app and get a
coordinate which takes you approximately to where you want to be. One
needs the map to find the location in the first place, so if nothing is
mapped one needs a precise coordinate ... so one logs the coordinate as
well? I get the idea of 'what3words' but not while it has a page for
pricing! It is something that should be a free world standard and there
is nothing stopping the likes of HOT providing an alternative? But when
one adds proper support for 6500+ languages building something
inherently based on English is perhaps not the best starting point? All
the uses I am seeing for it ALSO have the coordinates so it seems
somewhat contrived trying to make it commercial in the first place?

The second you NEED an app to convert from one 'system' to another is
there really any need to have some human readable name? Can I go to
amuses.sizing.stream without an app, when I can go to
uk.worcs.broadway.xxx by following signs?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL