[OSM-talk] What3words

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 13:18:53 UTC 2015

On 30/11/15 12:50, Colin Smale wrote:
> Correct, but the accuracy issue is a weakness in lat/lon based
> coordinates as well. If you use your consumer GPS or phone to find your
> lat/lon, you might indeed be a long way adrift and you might get
> different values on different occasions. Imagine that you were relying
> on that to get your shopping delivered...
Which is why you need something on the premises you are trying to access
even if that is only 'the pink door'

> In my example the party that needs to do the translation from w3w to
> lat/lon would be Amazon, and they will probably be paying w3w for a
> licence to do that.
But if two adjacent doors both have amazon landing mats there is still
no guarantee that the w3w tag is correct for one or other of those mats.
But I expect at some point some sort of bar code cross check would
evolve and the correct mat can be identified. As has already been
pointed out on the discussions on these droids, it only works when there
is a single story dwelling. Add 100 flats with one front door on a busy
street ... but personally I think there will be more losses due to
droids being intercepted in flight? :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL