[OSM-talk] User WJtW - railway track counts

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 12 10:14:44 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-12 12:05, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> about the sources of the other information (electrification info,
>> usage etc), maybe it's inside info, maybe it's a guess, or maybe he
>> is just widely-travelled.
>
> not sure about usage, but electrification can often be seen in aerial
> imagery (where hires).

And what voltage/frequency is common knowledge. At least, I don't
suppose OSM rules dictate that you can only enter that when you have
actually measured the voltage with a multimeter :D
You only need some local knowledge at places where two electrification
systems meet to map where exactly the change is.
Same goes for gauge. Pretty much all mainline railwaytrack in Europe
(except the Iberian peninsula and Russia) is 1435mm and usually people
who know about railways also know where narrowgauge track is used.

Maarten