[OSM-talk] open question about boundaries sharing nodes with ways or nodes

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Wed Oct 14 17:53:45 UTC 2015

On 10/14/2015 04:05 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 14-10-15 09:49, Badita Florin wrote:
>> Our task is to delete all the existing admin_level=6 boundaries and start
>> fresh, but this seems much more things needs to happen before you do this.
>
> Don't delete the existing boundaries, update them to match the new
> reality using the ReplaceGeometry feature in JOSM for example. When the
> data for shared nodes is available, it will disconnect the other ways
> from the boundary way being replaced leaving the other ways as they were.

I disagree with this suggestion, and I think the original plan of
deleting the existing ways or tags and uploading new ones is better.
Reasons:

1) The value of using Replace Geometry is very low for this case. The
reason for doing so would be to make life easier for anyone who wants to
know what OSM previously thought the boundaries are. Very few people
will want to know that, especially since it won't provide any context
for understanding the new, imported data. And for those few that ever
will, the tools still exist and work fine.

2) Replace Geometry won't work well. To provide a meaningful consistency
of history, there needs to be a roughly one-to-one correspondence
between new objects and old.

To explain this with an example: Imagine the county boundaries are
currently mapped, with one way between each pair of counties, and a
relation for each county collecting the appropriate ways. Now add
detail, mapping out the boundaries for each town. Each county relation
is now formed by a larger number of smaller ways which are the town
boundaries. What should happen to the original ways that were used for
county boundaries? They don't correspond to anything in the new scheme,
so there's nothing for Replace Geometry to do that makes sense.

--Andrew