[OSM-talk] Activity statistics per city (or region)

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:46:19 UTC 2015

Cesar,

If you are interested in road network completeness, you need road network
length evolution. You can tell a network is getting completed as the
network length levels out. An example in relatively complete Flanders:
As you can see here: http://i.imgur.com/2hxAXNk.gif main roads and minor
roads (unclassified, residential) near completion, but slow roads and other
roads keep growing.
As you say, recency only really becomes an issue for a road network once it
has been completed. So only when total length has been relatively flat for
a while, do you really need to look at this too.

With the OSM history importer and some SQL query you can get these length
statistics out of the data.

Of course, as the road network comes of age, a lot of extra info gets
tagged, like turn restrictions (these are relations, so harder to get
evolution), pedestrian crossings, traffic, lights, etc.

Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joost-schouppe/48/939/603> | Meetup