[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 19:30:25 UTC 2015

On 7 Sep 2015 15:31:02 -0000
Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> people who reject mapping abandoned railroads

Nobody is against mapping abandoned railroads that are existing. But
mapping objects that are fully and completely gone is explicitly
documented to be unwanted in the same way as copyright violations or
completely subjective ratings - see for example
www.openstreetmap.org/welcome - "What it doesn't include is opinionated
data like ratings, historical or hypothetical features, and data from
copyrighted sources.".

Way forward is to prepare proposal what is the border between "there
are mappable traces" and "it is completely gone and no longer
mappable" not starting the same discussion again and again.

OSM is not for mapping everything, plenty of things that I map does
not belong in OSM - and I am not attempting to store this data in the
OSM database.