[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Fabian Schmidt fschmidt at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Sep 8 09:00:24 UTC 2015

On 09/08/2015 12:16 AM, Dave F. wrote:

> I fail to understand why railways are singled out as a special case. If
> roads, buildings or woods get demolished, they get deleted.

please have a look at the tag definition in the wiki: "where the rails
have been removed but the route is still visible in some way" [1]

Building railway lines leads to many cuttings, embankments and bridges,
which e.g. predestines abandoned railway lines to convert them into
cycleways. This was frequently done and discussed for future projects
especially in mountaineous regions where I live.

Fabian.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Arailway%3Dabandoned