[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Sep 10 08:18:46 UTC 2015

Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Now it is done with railways and may be stopped. But if
> completely dismantled railways are not deleted from OSM
> what would stop somebody interested in mapping completely
> destroyed buildings, canals etc?

You're absolutely right.

We should also stop mapping bus routes. These are often not supported by
on-the-ground evidence, just by patterns of usage, and that might lead
someone to map (say) the functionally equivalent corridors most often used
by taxis or Uber vehicles.

We should stop mapping official council boundaries. These aren't on the
ground, and they are just administrative delineations of certain services.
What would stop someone taking this and mapping pizza companies' delivery
boundaries?

We should stop adding postcodes. These usually aren't on the ground and they
are just the reference system of one private company[1] among many. Someone
might add the internal reference identifiers used by utility companies or
indeed any other company with assets to manage.

And we should stop making hypothetical points on the mailing list, because
what would stop someone interested in applying those hypothetical points to
other bits of OSM?

Richard

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail#Privatisation