[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 12 18:16:19 UTC 2015

Respect to Russ for standing up for his principles in the face of all
this bullying. Nobody has given a *consistent* answer yet. Why are
"former railway lines" which are no longer immediately evident on the
ground forbidden so vehemently in OSM when so many other artefacts from
the past are not? Old_name, Roman roads, closed pubs, end_date, etc etc.
And why are some esoteric tags to support a minority interest tolerated
and some so hotly disputed? Why are some "mapping patterns" decried so
vociferously here, but apparently they are not actually serious enough
to do anything about?

What happened to the openness of OSM? This "discussion" doesn't seem to
be about OSM any more, it's about scoring points and winning the
argument. If you have the courage of your convictions, you will be
contacting other mappers right, left and centre informing of them of
their "transgressions of the unwritten rules" and reverting their
changes. It's nobody's private map. Let's live and let live.