[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:02:32 UTC 2015

> On 15/09/2015 10:30, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> thing is, a dismantled railway has no end_date, it only has a start_date
>> and will continue to be a dismantled railway, till the end of time
>>

> To check, did you mean abandoned railway? Dismantled railways *could*
> return to full usage  (I'm not advocating the use of end_date)

everything _could_ return to full usage (maybe almost everything), but
rebuilding something is not the same as renovating it. I'd see dismantled
railways as a further step away from an active railway compared to
abandoned railways (in OSM).

Yes, we do not have good tags to model the history of things that come, go
(or are modified) and come again. E.g. what start_date should a railway
line get, that was built in 1880, closed and dismantled in 1926 and rebuilt
and reopened in 1998, with the same name, same location of the tracks, etc.?

I agree we should map present things, not the past, but should leave a way
open to cater for past things that have lasted into present time (also
partially or hidden) in some form or the other. An abandoned railway
clearly is something of the presence, dismantled railways are something
I've personally never mapped so far, and where I can understand the
reluctance of fellow mappers to tolerate them (in cases where literally
nothing has endured). Still, if you look careful you will find something
(traces) from a lot of past things, especially true for relatively recent
(compared to human history) and "high impact" stuff like railways.

cheers,
Martin