[OSM-talk] Traffic Signs

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Sep 30 09:38:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 02:23:25PM -0700, Hans De Kryger wrote:
> I know it's been talked about in the past what the major goals of
> OpenStreetMap are. And i remember there being different opinions on what
> those are, (when Steve Coast mentioned his goal being Addresses) which i
> agree. Addresses are a big future for OSM.
>
> One goal not mention is traffic signs. I think there's a huge potential
> once we have traffic signs all over the world in the database. Ways to tag
> them in the database being besides the point. (Which still needs to be
> addressed) hire did everyone feel about this?

I started adding individual signs (and street lamps and surface) but
only after i systematically started taking photos with Mapillary.

No mapping without images.

Once you start mapping signs you end up finding tons of errors
in the OSM Dataset (As with addresses - once you start mapping addresses
you find tons of street name errors). And i dont want to map anymore
without taking photos first as with the dense map there are a lot of
mappers and with the photos I can always go back and proof something is
exactly as I mapped it.

So at first street signs seem to be redundant but that redundancy
leads to verifyable data.

I started creating my little own JOSM style as i didnt find any
which showed the German zone speed limits and "Verkehrsberuhigt"

I'd wish someone produced a Germany street sign style with all the
DE:x signs also with additions like 1020-30 etc ...

And please - an OsmAND view with street signs ;)

Flo
     We need to self-defense - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!