[OSM-talk] classification of airports/aerodromes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 00:29:38 UTC 2016

On 13/04/2016 8:35 AM, Alejandro S. wrote:

> But the surface tag applies to runaways, not aerodromes, does it?

If the surface tag is on the runway .. then it applies to the runway,
similarly for taxiway etc.

Personally my experience is that it much easier to map the runway, as
that is fairly well defined.
The area of the aerodrome is harder - the boundary maybe fenced making
it a little easier.
Most unpaved runways have no easy way to determine the extent of the
'aerodrome' so it does not usually get mapped.
I don't usually put a surface tag on an aerodrome, but I have tagged
surfaces on runways,
one of which was grass and has changed to paved in my term of mapping
history, the 'taxiways' remain grass .. and unmapped.