[OSM-talk] Crowdfunding for OpenStreetMap in Bénin : 275km² high resolution satellite imagery for Cotonou

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:56:05 UTC 2016

Hey I don't know really understand the discussion about charity, or what this has to do with all this sensitivity about the autonomy of a local community. I see a fundraiser for imagery, for purchase from a big satellite imagery provider. OSM Benin is doing amazing work, but it's not like they're trying to launch a satellite itself! This imagery can be gotten as a donation -- just like you're asking for donations now.  And those crowdfunding campaign donors, well I bet they're willing to trust a local communities decisions, as long as the community and OSM are strengthened. Suggesting this is not an insult -- absolutely none intended. Seems silly to not spend the money more productively, but that's my view and not my decision.
There are many imagery providers and services that have been willing to help with imagery for active projects -- this is nothing new in OSM. Just look at the Ecuador response to see the latest manifestation of that willingness. There are lots of great mapping efforts in West Africa and around the world, and we all know there are many gaps in imagery. If OSM Benin had asked for help with imagery before starting this fundraiser, you bet I would have helped; this is not about a bandwagon as you strangely suggest Rod. We need to prioritize needs, and seeing the community activity and organization in Cotonou is key to the thought -- this is a place that can really use imagery. In other words, both a gap in imagery coverage and an active use are ingredients to consider.
So if OSM Benin can organize AOI for imagery needs, and demonstrate activity on the ground in those place, I don't see why other requests wouldn't be considered. I would love to talk directly with the OSM Benin team to understand the need, and there are many people who are happy to help cross language barriers to help with translation, and convey things in the best way possible.
-Mikel
 * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron