[OSM-talk] osm maps on wikipedia - discussion

Guillaume Rischard openstreetmap at stereo.lu
Fri Apr 29 12:59:21 UTC 2016

On 29 Apr 2016, at 14:46, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> We'd have to explain to Wikipedia users that what they see on our
>> maps might not be what they expect, and that we do *not* want
>> them to fix it...
>
> I've just created a quick, friendly wiki page to explain that and other
> differences:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Wikipedia_users <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Wikipedia_users>
The mediawiki discussion mentions disputed borders. We often include borders that can’t really be surveyed or checked as facts on the ground. What should we say about them on that page?

I’ve asked for clarification about the “bad or outdated” borders: https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:T30iq8fsfdecvl3m&topic_showPostId=t30iq8fsfhcf3p1u#flow-post-t30iq8fsfhcf3p1u <https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:T30iq8fsfdecvl3m&topic_showPostId=t30iq8fsfhcf3p1u#flow-post-t30iq8fsfhcf3p1u>

Guillaume