[OSM-talk] Building a free/open reviews community w/ OSM support

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:56:06 UTC 2016

Keeping OSM and an external database linked is no mean feat. Say you load a
McDonalds POI to your database and someone reviews it. But then a mapper
comes along and changes the node to a line. Upon the next update of your
POI database, your review will not find the object it linked to before,
because it no longer exists.

Here are some possible solutions:
- generalize the link between review and object to something like "this
review is for an abject more or less called McDonalds which is more or less
in this location"
- link to object IDs, but have an intelligent algorithm or some
crowdsourcing decide if the review still belongs to the same OSM object
upon update
- add an external ID to OSM. This would be analogue to the current wikidata
tag.

Though all three approaches have huge problems, I personally think only the
third option would be viable for a project like this. In practice, it would
mean your website would have to write tags to the OSM database. That is
easy to get wrong and would probably meet resistance from the community. I
would like to see the wikidata model generalized, where you have a tag like
external_id:wikidata and external_id:lib_reviews . To minimize polluting
OSM with unnecessary tags, only objects which have a review in your system
should get the tag.

There are some interesting reactions on a diary entry I wrote on this long
ago: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/34328

Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn