[OSM-talk] Building a free/open reviews community w/ OSM support

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 23:30:44 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

Il giorno 09 ago 2016, alle ore 00:46, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com> ha scritto:

>> From a data consumer's point of view, when
>> I look up the original node ID, do I just get a "not found", or is
>> there an easy way to tell that there's a new way or relation now
>> representing the same object?
>
> You will just get a Not Found. You can get the node history but that
> won't really help much.
>
> Sometimes people make the old node be one of the tag-less nodes of the
> new building way, but that's not required, maybe not even very common.

yes, you can't tell in advance what happens with the node when a mapper decides to make the poi a polygon, he might delete it, reuse it as part of the polygon, reuse it for something else, keep it with part of the old tags (e.g. address), etc.

When analyzing what happened you can look at the node history, get the changeset id and look at the changeset (and maybe other changesets of the same user shortly before and after). This should normally reveal the details.

For tracking changes to the objects of your reviews you should not rely on ids, rather define what is the object of your review (e.g. "a fast food restaurant of the McDonald's brand" around a certain location), It can be done with the overpass api and there are examples somewhere in the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID

cheers,
Martin