[OSM-talk] New Google Maps style - interesting cartographic innovation

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 12 09:57:51 UTC 2016

On 11/08/2016 19:37, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:

> Most of the area in city centers... is
> covered with townhouses with retail/service tenants residing at the
> ground level, rest of the building being residential. Therefore
> landuse=residential is more appropriate and is mapped so.

I disagree with this.

In such circumstances I tag it as landuse=retail
I work on the principle of what the end user will more likely want to
find: The nearest local shops with a KFC outlet, or the dingy bedsit
above it.

ATM there's no clear tagging scheme to deal with multi level/multi usage
developments & AFAIK, the major renderings don't show it.

Dave F.