[OSM-talk] The New Cloud Atlas - Mapping Physical Infrastructure of the Internet with OSM

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 15:31:50 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

with Ben Dalton, I'm happy to properly launch The New Cloud Atlas
project at http://newcloudatlas.org

I've written a blog post to explain it in more detail:
https://thinkwhere.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/the-new-cloud-atlas-mapping-the-physical-infrastructure-of-the-internet/

It's a project to collect and make a map to better understand what
"The Internet" means, physically and geographically. The site has a
tweaked iD editor with custom telecoms presets, it creates a couple of
map tilesets showing these features from OSM, with clickable features
on the map.

We encourage you to map your local data centres, street cabinets,
telephone exchanges, telephone poles, manhole covers and more!

Telecoms features in OSM are not consistently mapped with regards to
each other which could provide an opportunity for some consolidation
or making new taxonomies. I've created WikiProject Telecoms to help
with this tagging discussion:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Telecoms

Cheers and I look forward to your comments!

Tim