[OSM-talk] Without an address, an Icelandic tourist drew this map of the intended location (Búðardalur) and surroundings on the envelope. The postal service delivered!

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Aug 30 17:12:20 UTC 2016

Hola,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 05:03:39PM +0200, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> Warning: flame thread about to start.
>
> El tirsdag 30. august 2016 16.50.14 CEST Oleksiy Muzalyev escribió:
> > It is clear that in Iceland there are street signs. However, a growing
> > number of people on Earth is living in slums [1] or slum-like areas,
> > where a classical system of addresses from the 19th century is not
> > affordable.
>
> Oh for fucks sake. Tell me what's not affordable about spray-painting letters
> on the sides of buildings?

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/addressing-the-world-initiative.html
http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingAssistance/brochureWhitePaperEn.pdf
http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingAssistance/brochureAddressingTheWorldEn.pdf

Although i think the Upu has some serious conflicts in their members and goals.

Deutsche Post and British Postal Service are both members, and both claim copyright
on the postcode database. So the members of the UPU do not conform to the claimed "public good"
of addressing.

I think OSM could be a major piece in generating addresses for the billions
currently unaddressed - still - its a huge task.

Flo