[OSM-talk] Without an address, an Icelandic tourist drew this map of the intended location (Búðardalur) and surroundings on the envelope. The postal service delivered!

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 30 21:05:50 UTC 2016

On 30/08/16 20:12, Stefano wrote:

> <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>>:
>
>     I am going to say this very quietly.... what3words
>

> IKEA furniture is more recognizable than english words
> http://www.what3ikea.com/
>
> /s
>
> Cheers,
> Stefano
These all are good tries, however it should be something like MP3. When
MP3 appeared it immediately became clear that the era of CD is over. Or
a Cartesian coordinate system. For two thousand years the dot was
considered as a final indivisible entity, an axiom. Until René Descartes
split the dot in two coordinates x and y. Now it seems to be obvious,
but at that time Isaac Newton had to reread Descartes' La Géométrie,
where this idea was published, nine times. A Cartesian coordinate system
was a ground-breaking idea.

It is flying in the air, but it is not there yet. Perhaps, it requires a
thinker like René Descartes to formulate, if it is doable at all.