[OSM-talk] Without an address, an Icelandic tourist drew this map of the intended location (Búðardalur) and surroundings on the envelope. The postal service delivered!

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 31 08:03:15 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-31 09:39, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
> On 31/08/16 07:54, Andreas Vilén wrote:

>> Imo it's better to let these areas choose their own (classic)
>> addresses and then report these to the authorities.
>>
>> /Andreas
>  It looks like they are trying to do exactly this. Here is a map of a
> part of Rio de Janeiro in Brasil: http://osm.org/go/OVcch3Alh- .
>
> But this approach is not scalable, - even on this map you can see
> three _Rua C_, four _Rua A_ (Rua means Street in Portuguese). Without
> a central authority it will end up in numerous duplicates.

These look to be gated communities. Like here:
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-22.92908/-43.37196>
<https://goo.gl/maps/hGeikyk4X2r>
Condominio Barao da Taquara

So the address would be something like Rua E., Condominio Barao da
Taquara, Rio de Janeiro.

> I heard that in such areas of a city a smartphone is a basic
> necessity, because if one leaves home when it is dark outside it is
> difficult to find way back as there are no street signs, and one may
> realistically get lost till dawn.

How did people manage before the age of smartphones, accurate GPS and
free maps?

Regards,
Maarten