[OSM-talk] Maps.me editing

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 21:01:35 UTC 2016

> P.s. don't forget, no editing software is perfect (desktop or mobile). The best aim is to help improve the user experience to reduce the error rate. The alternative is we restrict editing to just those with "experience" and everyone else can only submit Notes. This doesn't seem scalable to me.

it seems sufficiently scalable for deleting stuff like settlements. I appreciate the choice by the maps.me devs to just create a note rather than directly delete stuff.

Deletions are hard to spot, it happened quite some times that I discovered a (wrong/malicious ) deletion months and years after it occurred. Even more so as the items tend to be re-added quite fast, but often with much fewer details (and their object history gone).

Not all problems occur because of improvable editing software, there are also (few) people around that intentionally vandalize the map.

cheers,
Martin