[OSM-talk] Mozambique's living streets

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sun Dec 11 00:15:49 UTC 2016

On 12/10/2016 08:47 PM, john whelan wrote:
> I just did a search on part of Mozambique and came across more than
> 500 highway=living_street.
>
> I always understood them to be a European concept highway with signs
> on the street and a very low max speed.  I wouldn't have expected to
> see so many clustered together in Mozambique.
>
> Idle curiosity are they a legal entity in Mozambique and other parts
> of Africa?

A while ago
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2013-August/061580.html)
I started a thread about usage of highway=living_street in Africa. The
resulting consensus was that, while unpaved residential streets in
Africa are living streets in practice, they are not legally classified
that way - and therefore the correct tagging is highway=residential...
But participants in the thread were mostly experienced with
French-speaking Africa - so I cannot rule out the existence of a living
street legal classification in other locales.