[OSM-talk] Mozambique's living streets

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sun Dec 11 01:10:51 UTC 2016

Legal definition vs."duck typing" - there is a bit of both in
Openstreetmap tagging... But because "living street" has a precise legal
definition in Europe, involved mappers chose not to confuse the issue by
using a different one.

Then there was the question of differentiating large residential streets
from minor ones... Some bright spark took initiative by tagging a large
part of Dakar's residential streets as highway=service - that has been
universally perceived as a very bad idea.

I mostly just highway=residential with a surface=* tag but now that you
remind me of those discussion, I'm thinking that a key differentiator is
the presence of a sidewalk. What about:

highway=residential
surface=ground
sidewalk=no