[OSM-talk] Building Detection using Machine Learning

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 16:48:09 UTC 2016

Frederik, all
> an editor plugin were to help the mapper trace buildings that the mapper identifies or at least individually verifies, that would probably be ok
This feels like the consensus across the board -- machine learning has potential to be useful when integrated into a human editor workflow. Maybe we can work on guidelines that encapsulates this. With something written up, we'll be able to stop "spinning wheels" on whether this is useful or not, and focus on experimenting and implementing promising approaches.
-Mikel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:59 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

 Hi,

On 12/22/2016 01:10 AM, john whelan wrote:
> Do we have any guidelines in the wiki etc?

Nothing specific, no.

Automated editing and/or import guidelines would apply to any such
process and I would ask everyone who overhears discussions about
"uploading" machine-detected data to OSM to point this out to those
discussing. We've already had to revert a couple hundred thousand such
edits (roads though, not buildings).

If, OTOH, an editor plugin were to help the mapper trace buildings that
the mapper identifies or at least individually verifies, that would
probably be ok, at least until HOT trains an army of monkeys with
typewriters, er keyboards, to rubber-stamp everything the algorithm puts
out ;)

More generally speaking, in my opinion the human-centered aspect of
mapping is a key property that sets us apart from other map databases.
You can safely assume that any algorithm we can run to detect buildings,
Google can run 1000 times faster and with a fraction of the error rate,
leading to 1000 times more and 10 times better data of that kind than we
can accumulate. This is not a field in which we can, or should attempt
to, compete.

Bye
Frederik

--