[OSM-talk] Building Detection using Machine Learning

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Dec 24 18:57:23 UTC 2016

It reminds me how in 60s and 70s it was widely believed that the
computers will be doing text translation instead of human translators.
We realize now, fifty years later, that is actually a hard problem. And
it is still impossible to translate a novel or a poem by a computer
program alone.

I would be very surprised if digitizing landuse from satellite images
could be done by a robot. Even an automatic extraction of an image from
a background in the product photography does not work reliably. And it
is an easier task as in product photography it is possible to control
light, background color, etc. In fact it is mostly done manually even
though there are numerous programs and Photoshop plugins for it, which
kind of work in some circumstances.

New products for product photography & e-commerce will be appearing
endlessly. But we do not have that much landuse. The Earth surface will
not be growing, and there will be no other habitable planets in the near
future. In my opinion, a human, especially who knows the land, should be
participating in mapping landuse.

But certainly, if a breakthrough happens in a self-learning neural
network technology then the situation will change, and not only in
mapping and translation; it will be a new brave world.

What I would like to have however now is the better tools for landuse &
natural. For example, I would like to be able to hide in the JOSM
existing already power-lines, roads, paths, etc. in order to map
farlmland, woods, grassland, etc. Perhaps, it is possible in JOSM, but I
could not find it yet.

Best regards,
Oleksiy