[OSM-talk] Overpass API from JOSM does not honor bounding box anymore?

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 26 16:36:36 UTC 2016

Hi Marteen
There were discussions recently on this subject  but I cant find the thread. This was probably on the Overpass discussion group.

As for the general Overpass API, It is now possible through JOSM to either use bbox or other outbounding methods to define the area to query. To implement this in JOSM, the syntax for bbox has been slightly modified with the [bbox:{{bbox}}] added to the header section of the query.
Try building a query with a key value, for example : "building"="yes"
When you click on Build a query, you wil see that the bbox definition looks like this.
[out:xml][timeout:25][bbox:{{bbox}}];
If you still have timeout problem using the syntax above, it migth be related to the size of the area to query. Then, select a smaller bbox or increase the timeout value.

Pierre