[OSM-talk] What is 'Attic Data'? or 'Why can't wiki writers use plain language'.

malenki osm_ at malenki.ch
Sun Feb 7 09:43:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:06:32 +0000,
Dave F wrote:

> So often I'm put off from delving further into OSM & its uses by the
> confusing nature of it's wiki pages.
>
> A simple example:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_QL#Attic_data_.28.22date.22.29
>
> Why is it headed as 'Attic Data'?

Obviously because the developer named the feature "Attic Data".

> Why is there no explanation of it's meaning? After too much time
> using google I find it means old information. Why not say that?
> Wouldn't 'historical snapshot' be a bit clearer?

A year ago I would liked to have found an explanation of "Attic
Data" too, since the average OSM user knows it from the OSM website as
"history" or "chronic" (German). If the term "history" would at least
have been placed near "Attic Data" I would have found it by full text
searching the wiki page.
I was unable to connect "OSM history" and "Attic Data", even with using
search engines. I had to ask on IRC and as I was told I was looking for
"Attic Data" I thought 'WTF! what a stupid name! Nobody ever will find
that in the wiki'
I've added an explanation by now; hopefully it will be considered
helpful:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Overpass_API/Overpass_QL&diff=1270275&oldid=1262567

Why didn't you do it? :)

> Please remember wiki/help pages are mainly read by inexperienced
> users

Define the "inexperienced user", please.

I am nearly totally inexperienced in programming but even JOSM has
a built-in interface to query the Overpass API.
With overpass turbo and its wizard you need very little experience of
whatsoever to create a successful query.

>who aren't fully aware of all the latest hip language (that
> often goes out of fashion 6 months later).

Well, since this is a name of a feature of a wide- and heavily used
tool I doubt that it is part of a fashion hipster language.

> Please keep all wiki pages plain & simple.

You can help doing this, too.

hth
Thomas