[OSM-talk] who do we trust for photos?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 01:10:18 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> The trouble with any non-profit service is that if they cease to get
> donations, they will be shut down.

This observation also applies to the OSM database as hosted by the OSMF.
But we all still contribute to OSM anyway because we trust that OSMF or
another entity will be able to continue hosting the database. This is
possible because of the license.

I would suggest to upload your photos to Wikimedia Commons (of course with
an open/free license—Wikimedia Commons won't host it otherwise). You can
also provide a back-up on Flickr which also allows tagging photos under a
CC license.