[OSM-talk] Missing data in rendering database on orm

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 21:09:21 UTC 2016

I noticed something weird in the tile rendering on osm.org a couple of
days ago and after looking at several things it seems that one of the
rendering servers (orm) is missing data. I'm wondering if I'm the only
one to see this or if anyone else has noticed something similar.

What I initially noticed was a gap in a road that should not have been
there. It can be seen in this tile:
http://orm.openstreetmap.org/16/15058/25351.png

The data in the database was never in a state with a gap. I split the
road to tag lane count. In the same upload the way coming in from the
west was shortened and a new way was created. But on orm, only the
shortening seems to have registered and the new way creation has
apparently been dropped. Compare this tile to the same tile on yevaud:
http://yevaud.openstreetmap.org/16/15058/25351.png

You will see not only that the gap is filled in but yevaud also has
several other features that are missing on orm.

This is not a stale tile being served up from cache. These changes
were made on the 16th and the tile has been rendered at least 3 times
since then with the most recent being earlier today (on the 21st)

The area this happened in is Wichita, KS:

But you will only see the gap if you get routed to orm via the OSM DNS
setup. See http://render.openstreetmap.org/ if you don't know which
one you are being routed to (it will say either orm or yevaud in the
first line)

There is another gap if you pan west about two miles to the
interstate. Here I split the way to add a maxheight tag. Other things
I have uploaded since the 16th are showing up. It seems to be just
that one changeset that got partially applied to the rendering
database.

Am I just really (un)lucky or has anyone else seen something similar?

Toby