[OSM-talk] Names for Fiji

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Feb 26 11:23:28 UTC 2016

Le 26/02/2016 12:12, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:01:40 +0100
> Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com> wrote:
>
>> For names used in news or social media reports, you can find their
>> location using (...) and Bing
>> (or other allowed satellite imagery).
> AFAIK only Bing satellite imagery is on suitable license. And satellite
> imagery is totally useless for purposes of linking names and
> settlements.
>
> AFAIK names and other elements on Bing maps may not be legally copied
> to OSM.

Hi Mateusz,

There are other providers who allow their imagery to be used for OSM
mapping, like Mapbox for example, or major satellite imagery providers
directly, specially in times of crises.

Satellite imagery is useful in connection with roughly georeferenced AMS
maps to check the accurate location of settlements.

I was specifically referring to Bing imagery.

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem

--
"On ne m’ôtera pas de l’idée que, pendant la dernière guerre mondiale,
de nombreux juifs ont eu une attitude carrément hostile à l’égard du