[OSM-talk] Names for Fiji

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:16:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:49:39AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> Am 26.02.2016 um 07:08 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>:
>
> >> Note that names currently in use are often a simplified form of these
> >> "old" names, and that it is straightforward to recognize current names
> >> in old names.
> >>
> >> For example, on Koro Island, here is a list of correspondences old
> >> name
> >> - current name:
> >> Kande - Kade
> >> Nambuna - Nabuna
> >> Nangaindamu - Naqaidamu
> >> Sinuvatha - Sinuvaca
> >> Namathu - Namacu
> >> Mundu - Mudu
>

> are these names English or fiji or hindi?

it is close to irrelevant what language they are. Those are different
transcriptions which may have spelling errors/oddities but generaly
reflect the localy used names. Errors can be corrected anytime when
a better spelling becomes known.

When using antiquated topographic maps I would sure add a note where
that data comes from.

Richard