[OSM-talk] Tile Server on Ubuntu 15.10

Skyler F electricity440 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 05:37:50 UTC 2016

Hi, I am a linux newbie and I really want to get a tile server working on
my Ubuntu computer. I have been trying for weeks but nothing is working.

Trying from this link:
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Installing-your-own-tileserver-on-Ubuntu-td5172494.html
Everything works until I get to install libapache2-mod-tile. Even though I
have added the correct repository, I still get this error:
E: Unable to locate package libapache2-mod-tile

I also tried many of the other tutorials on the web including manually
building but I just can't get anything to work whatsoever. I always get
stuck on a "package not found". On a previous install of Ubuntu 14, I was
able to get the slippymap to show, but only pink tiles were visible.

>From this tutorial:
https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-14-04/

I am stuck in the python bash here

python
>>> import mapnik
>>>ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mapnik/_mapnik.x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6mapnik6filter19parse_image_filtersERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEERSt6vectorINS_4util7variantIJNS0_4blurENS0_4grayENS0_14agg_stack_blurENS0_6embossENS0_7sharpenENS0_11edge_detectENS0_5sobelENS0_10x_gradientENS0_10y_gradientENS0_6invertENS0_10scale_hslaENS0_14colorize_alphaENS0_14color_to_alphaEEEESaISP_EE

Can someone lead me in the right direction for getting a tile server up and
running? I need it for Amateur radio emergency communications with APRS
using the XASTIR program.

I need a lot of tiles, and don't want to stress the server by downloading
them, so it would be great if I could get a tile server running.

Thanks,
Skyler