[OSM-talk] Tile Server manual build 15.10 troubleshooting

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:44:26 UTC 2016

On 04/01/2016 10:45, Lester Caine wrote:
> MANY of the tools listed on the switch2osm site are no longer actively
> supported by their originators,

I can't speak for everything on there, but I do know that I tested (and
tweaked slightly) the "manual 14.04 instructions" about a month ago
because I suspected that some of the changes to the OSM stack might
require a change (though it turned out it was mainly the way that the
Natural Earth data was packaged that did).  I suspect that the Leaflet
stuff should be still OK too (though very unrepresentative of what is
possible with Leaflet now).

> so we do need an overhaul of the whole process, but a reliable base
> framework does not exist and the diversity between linux distributions
> is making that more and more difficult. Personally Ubuntu is not
> practical for me as all my production servers are SUSE based,

Ubuntu may not be an option for you but it doesn't mean that "a reliable
base framework does not exist".  It'd be like saying that a recipe for
pizza doesn't work because you can't digest cheese**...

> ... And apache is perhaps not the best choice for production web
> servers anyway ...

Using something other than Apache would require using something other
than mod_tile (perhaps see *), but that would be a different set of
instructions, which I'm not aware of existing currently.

Cheers,

Andy

*
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/70881/tile-server-with-dynamic-mapnik-rendering-caching-and-pre-emptive-rendering

** I once saw a friend of mine ordering a "pizza sans fromage" in a
restaurant in France.  The result was not pretty.