[OSM-talk] Abandoned buildings

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 23:31:41 UTC 2016

> I tagged some abandoned building in my native city with
> abandoned:building=yes (as wiki) and the building name but now i can't
> search these ones with nominatim (no results) and none of these appears on
> mapnik.
> Is prefix abandoned before building=yes really correct?

Keep in mind that the whole idea of the "abandoned:" prefix is
programs should only find them if they were explicitly designed to do
so.

For example, if you tag an abandoned gas station as amenity=fuel
abandoned=yes, any software that doesn't know about abandoned= will
think it's a working gas station, it will appear in searches, apps
will tell drivers that there is a gas station nearby, etc. It's better
to tag it as abandoned:amenity=fuel so that any existing software will
take it as an unknown tag and ignore it. If any software wants to show
abandoned gas stations in a different way, eg. as a reference point,
it can have an explicit rule for the tag.

But I'm not sure about building. An abandoned restaurant is not a
restaurant anymore (in the sense that you can't eat there), but an
abandoned building is still a building, so maybe building=yes
abandoned=yes does fit... Or maybe the map should render
abandoned:building.

--
Nicolás