[OSM-talk] Not sure what to think

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 14:29:02 UTC 2016

On Thursday 07 January 2016, Simon Poole wrote:

> > I use Google almost every time I add to the database. For example
> > in Great Britain there's currently a project to map & update all
> > schools in the country. To find their website addresses I use
> > Google search, perfectly legitimately.
>
> I'm not quote sure why you believe that.

This is a great example IMO for the absurdity of some parts of legal
database protection as we have in the EU.

The interesting thing is Google does not even provide direct links to
their search results so you have to actually call the site to be able
to get its URL.  The idea that Google retains rights on the URL of a
website you open in your browser because of the way you got there is -
well - interesting, although you are right this is within the scope of
the law when done in sufficient volume.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/