[OSM-talk] Proposal to close newbies@ list

Mon Jan 11 14:28:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

provide help to new users, has dwindled to almost nothing. There were no
posts in September, October, November, or December.

Generally we now have better places to provide help to new users -
principally http://help.openstreetmap.org/ , but also national forums
and mailing lists. There is also more OSM documentation than was once
the case.

So that new users don't seek help in a little-used backwater, but
instead go to a place where help is more likely to be found, I'm
proposing (as list admin) to close the list to subscriptions and to
posting. The list archives would be retained.

If you have a compelling reason why the list should not be closed,
please speak up now. You'll need to volunteer to be the admin though. ;)

cheers
Richard