[OSM-talk] (Warning) Check Email For Your Name

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Jul 5 07:27:33 UTC 2016

On 07/05/2016 08:48 AM, Hans De Kryger wrote:

> you're the owner of any of these email accounts, your account may have
> been compromised.
>
> I came across suspicions emails that were "supposedly" from these
> email accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

"A joe job is a spamming technique that sends out unsolicited e-mails
using spoofed sender data. Early joe jobs aimed at tarnishing the
reputation of the apparent sender or inducing the recipients to take
action against them (see also e-mail spoofing), but they are now
typically used by commercial spammers to conceal the true origin of
their messages"

Most probably spammers who have been harvesting mailing lists in bulk.