[OSM-talk] Fwd: Automated edits code of conduct

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 11 00:16:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 07/11/2016 02:02 AM, Éric Gillet wrote:
> If you do a search-and-replace on 20 elements and review manually the
> change, it is covered under the AE CoC.

No, the document clearly states in the "Scope" section:

"use of find-and-replace functionality using a standard editor such as
JOSM or finding using services such as Overpass API and changing without
reviewing cases individually;"

Sadly, we often have people who run search-and-replace operations and
*claim* that they have "reviewed cases individually", and then if you
look at their edit, they have changed a tag on a POI that sits in the
middle of a road or so - which means that they were either lying, or
they have only done a very, very cursory "manual review" of their change.

An automated, or mechanical, edit is when you do not look at the
individual object you're editing.

There is no similar policy covering manual edits. But of course if
someone *manually* changes 500 landuse=wood to landuse=forest across the
planet, it is still possible that they make a mistake and it needs
fixing in some way, or if they do it repeatedly and cause problems with
it, they might still be blocked. This is not a court system; DWG doesn't
need a law on the Wiki to take action against someone who causes
trouble. However, causing trouble through manual edits is so much less
frequent than causing trouble with mechanical edits that we have written
up a policy on the latter.

Bye
Frederik