[OSM-talk] What3words

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:23:46 UTC 2016

On a slightly more serious note:

There are other solutions to the issue of lack of addresses in large
parts of the world.

Google has put forth a solution that tries to address most of the w3w
issues. It is open source, works off line, non-propriety, usable for
printed maps among other issues they try and solve, called Open
Location Codes aka "Plus Codes"

http://openlocationcode.com/

https://maps.googleblog.com/2015/08/plus-codes-new-way-to-help-pinpoint.html

https://plus.codes/

It is still a work in progress for them but they are seriously seeking
feedback from the OSM and humanitarian communities. I have no opinion
on it because it is a bit beyond my full understanding at the moment,
but as I said, thoughtful feedback on it would help I think.

Regards,
Blake